Strategies for Organizing Your Garage
Let’s Get Organizing…
Is your garage an organized sanctuary or a cluttered mess? Is it even too full of STUFF you can’t park your car inside? 5280 breaks down some simple tips and tricks for organizing your garage so you can make the most out of your space.
Where Do You Begin?
Start out by setting aside a half day or even a full day. Next, ask some friends or family to take part in the clean up project to get the job completed much faster. Let’s get started!
You’ll want to separate your items into 3 main groups: keep, sell or donate and toss.
Keep: We suggest splitting your keepers into broad categories such as (sport equipment, tools, and household items). Use clear plastic storage bins or other boxes and clearly mark your items you are wanting to keep, making it easy to find something specific.
Sell/donate: When sorting through items you may decide to sell or donate various things. One way that makes this easy is by holding a garage sale. You can also donate items at your local Goodwill store.
Toss: When doing a garage clean out, consider how much stuff you are going to toss. In a lot of cases there are larger items, like old appliances and furniture that need to be discarded. In this case, renting a dumpster would greatly benefit your project. Also, take into account the items that can be recycled.
Think Before You Toss
When gathering the items that are ready to be thrown away, consider what items are allowed to go to the landfill. Many items in your garage could be considered hazardous. What exactly does hazardous waste mean and how do you get rid of it? Read all about hazardous waste here.
Choose a Layout
After you’ve decided what items are staying and what items are going, you next must determine where your belongings will go…
- Take into account the items you use together. Whether its gardening tools and lawn sprays or tennis balls and rackets, choose to put similar items near each other.
- Put larger equipment or items that may fall over farther away from where your car will be parked.
- Place seasonal items like holiday decorations in harder to reach spots, since you’ll once be needing them once a year.
Keep Items off the Floor
- Create more space for your vehicle by keeping your stuff off the floor.
- Invest in hooks or shelves to keep your floor clean and decluttered
Purchase A Work Bench
Keep It Clean For Good
- Once a year, set aside a day to go through your belongings.
- Regularly hose down the floor
- Ensure items stay in their designated places and reorganize as needed as the months go by
To rent a dumpster for your next garage clean out call (720) 924-4368 or visit our website.